Buffalo chickpea salad is great if you want a meatless lunch. It has all the flavors of buffalo wings, only so much healthier!
Buffalo chickpea salad
This flavorful chickpea salad is made with canned chickpeas tossed in a creamy, flavorful buffalo sauce made from Greek yogurt, Frank's Red Hot, lemon juice, and tahini. The chickpeas are then topped with crispy carrots and celery and hot, flavorful blue cheese. Buffalo flavor is one of my favorites, and I have tons of buffalo recipes on my website. I also love chickpea salad! For variations, try my chickpea salad with cucumber and tomatoes, the chickpea and avocado salad or my Greek chickpea salad.
You can toss almost anything with buffalo sauce and it will be delicious! This buffalo and chickpea salad is easy to make and inexpensive. It's great for meal prep and can easily be doubled up if you want leftovers.
How to Prepare for Prep
To prepare meals, cook the chickpeas, add the carrots and celery and cover the mixture with sauce. Squeeze lemon juice over the remaining carrots and celery. Store the chickpeas and vegetables in separate containers and refrigerate for up to four days.
How to serve
The serving options with this buffalo and chickpea salad are endless. I love wrapping over salad, but there are so many ways to eat it.
- Lettuce wrap. Wrap in lettuce – like a salad you can eat with your hands.
- Tortilla wraps. Make a buffalo and chickpea pack with your favorite tortilla.
- sandwich – Sandwich between your favorite wholemeal bread.
- starter – Use as a dip with tortilla chips or raw vegetables such as paprika strips and cucumber slices.
- Straight from the fridge. Eat it like it is with a spoon.
- Make it a bowl! Make a buffalo and chickpea bowl and serve over brown rice or quinoa. Add vegetables like cherry tomatoes and avocados.
- The blue cheese is traditional but can easily be left out or swapped for something a little milder like gorgonzola if it's not your thing.
- Make this salad dairy free by using dairy free yogurt and omitting the cheese.
More Buffalo Recipes You'll Love:
Buffalo chickpea salad
Preparation time: 20th min
Cooking time: 10 min
Total time: 30th min
- 15- oz can chickpeas, Drain and rinse (or 1 1/2 cups cooked)
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 TL kosher salt
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1/3 Cup Diced carrots, divided (1 large carrot)
- 1/3 Cup diced celery, divided (approx. 1 large stalk), plus celery leaves for garnish
- 3 tablespoon Frank's glowing original
- 1 tablespoon plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon plus 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice, divided
- 1/2 tablespoon Tahini
- 1/4 Cup crumbled blue cheese, Optional
- Romaine or Bibb sheets for serving
Heat a large non-stick pan over medium-high heat and add the oil.
As soon as it starts to shimmer, add the chickpeas, spread them all over in a single layer, and let them cook undisturbed for 1 to 2 minutes, or until they are slightly brown.
Stir, add garlic and salt and cook for another minute.
Transfer the chickpeas to a large bowl and add 1/4 cup of carrots and 1/4 cup of celery.
Fold in Frank, yoghurt, 1 tbsp lemon juice and tahini. Stir gently until everything is well mixed.
In a separate bowl, mix the remaining celery cubes and carrots with the remaining 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice and set aside.
To serve the chickpeas, top them with blue cheese (if used), the reserved celery and carrots, and a large handful of celery leaves. Scoop the lettuce onto a leaf of lettuce, wrap and dig in.
Portion: 1/ 6 of the recipe, Calories: 222kcal, Carbohydrates: 27G, Protein: 10.5G, Fat: 8thG, Saturated fatty acids: 2.5G, Cholesterol: 9mg, Sodium: 978mg, Fiber: 6thG, Sugar: 2.5G
Blue Smart Points: 3
Green Smart Points: 6th
Purple Smart Points: 3
Posted February 21, 2021 by Gina
Don't miss a recipe!
Receive new free recipes and exclusive content straight to your inbox: