These quick and easy Chicken Taco Poblano rice bowls are perfect for dinner or meal prep! Made in a pan with diced chicken breast, poblano peppers, corn, pico de gallo and cheese.
Chicken Taco Poblano Rice Bowls
This healthy chicken taco rice bowl recipe takes boring chicken breasts and makes it exciting with taco seasoning and veggies. They are served over brown rice instead of tortillas. Ideal for dinner or to prepare meals. For more Mexican-inspired bowl recipes, try my Chipotle Chicken Bowls, Spicy Pork Brussels Bowls, Shrimp Fajita Bowls, and Quinoa Huevos Rancheros Bowls.
These chicken taco and rice bowls are ready in under 30 minutes and are very family friendly as they are so customizable. Set all the toppings and your family members will be able to skip any toppings they don't like. In addition, these bowls are ideal for preparing meals. You can cook the chicken, vegetables, and rice in advance, then put the bowls together and top with the pico de gallo, cheese, and sour cream for dinner. You can also put all of the ingredients, including the toppings, in a glass container and take away for a simple lunch.
How to make taco seasonings from scratch
I season the chicken with my homemade taco seasoning mix. Of course, you can buy it, but it's super easy to make homemade taco seasoning with condiments you probably already have. And doing it yourself is less processed and you can control the amount of sodium. All you have to do is mix all of the condiments below in a small bowl:
- Garlic powder
- kosher salt
- Chili powder
- sweet paprika
- dried oregano
How to make Pico de Gallo from scratch
Pico de Gallo is a fresh tomato salsa that goes perfectly with tacos, chips and much more. To make pico de gallo from scratch, combine chopped tomatoes, onions, and cilantro and season with lime juice and salt. You can also add some chopped jalapeno if you prefer it spicy.
Chicken Taco Bowl Tips and Variations:
- Sub the chicken for chicken breast, steak, or boneless ground beef.
- Swap the poblano pepper for paprika or jalapeño to make it flavorful.
- Add black beans for more protein and fiber.
- Top your bowl with sliced avocado or guacamole.
- Add some hot sauce or fresh jalapenos for extra flavor.
- Swap the brown rice for cauliflower rice for a low-carb bowl.
- Instead of brown rice, use my coriander lime rice or my cauliflower rice version as the base.
Prepare preparation: Divide the chicken and rice into four meal preparation containers. Pack the pico de gallo and toppings in a separate container. Store covered and refrigerate for up to four days. To heat up, heat the microwave at 30 second intervals.
More Chicken Taco Recipes You'll Love:
Chicken Taco Poblano Rice Bowls
Preparation time: 10 min
Cooking time: fifteen min
Total time: 25th min
These quick and easy Chicken Taco Poblano rice bowls are perfect for dinner or meal prep!
- 1 1/4 lb Organic boneless skinless chicken breast, cut 1/2 inch cubes, from 3 small
- 2 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, peeled and diced
- 1/4 Cup coriander, chopped and more for garnish
- 1 Poblano pepper, cored and diced
- 1 Roma tomato, cored and diced
- 1 lime, halved
- Taco seasoning, see below
- kosher salt
- 1 Cup frozen or fresh corn kernels
- 3 cups cooked brown rice, heated (use cauliflower rice for low carbohydrate)
- 1/4 Cup Cheddar Jack cheese
- 1/4 Cup 2% sour cream or Greek yogurt, Optional
- 1 teaspoon Garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
Cut the chicken into small pieces. Combine taco seasonings in a small bowl and set aside.
For the pico de gallo, set aside 3 tablespoons of the diced onion and place in a bowl with tomatoes, coriander, 2 teaspoons of lime juice and 1/4 teaspoon of salt. Put aside.
Put the oil in a large pan over medium heat. When it's hot, add the chicken and cook for 2 to 3 minutes until it begins to brown.
Add the remaining onions, poblano pepper, and taco seasoning to the pan and cook for 2 to 3 minutes until tender. Add 1/2 cup of water and corn. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes, then remove from heat.
Divide rice into 4 bowls, cover with chicken, cheese, pico de gallo and optionally sour cream.
Portion: 1bowl, Calories: 475kcal, Carbohydrates: 52G, Protein: 40.5G, Fat: 12G, Saturated fatty acids: 4thG, Cholesterol: 116mg, Sodium: 407.5mg, Fiber: 6thG, Sugar: 3.5G
Blue Smart Points: 8th
Green Smart Points: 11
Purple Smart Points: 3
Keywords: Chicken Bowls, Chicken Breast Recipes, Roast Chicken
Posted 29th September 2020 by Gina