This lovely heart-healthy salmon salad with beets, arugula, pistachios and pomegranates makes salmon the focus of this colorful salad.
Salmon salad with beets
This main course salad is pretty and festive with lots of reds and pinks that I think even the guys in the world might lag behind: fried salmon, arugula, beets, radishes, goat cheese, pistachios, pomegranate seeds, capers, and mustard vinaigrette. It's perfect for lunch or dinner and ready in under 30 minutes. For more salads with salmon, try my Rocket Salmon Salad with Capers and Shaved Parmesan and Salmon Avocado Salad.
Salmon Salad Ingredients:
There are so many great ingredients in this salad:
- salmon: Cook the salmon on the stove for three to six minutes, depending on the size of the fillets.
- arugula: Arugula has a peppery taste, but if it's not your favorite, you can use half arugula and half of another green like baby spinach or just plain Al spinach.
- Beets: I wrap the beets in foil and roast them in the oven for about an hour. When they have cooled, peel them under running water so that the beets do not stain your hands.
- radish: Radishes add a nice peppery crunch.
- Goat cheese: The creamy goat cheese goes so well with the beets.
- Pistachios: Pistachios give this salad an extra helping of crispy protein.
- Pomegranates: Pomegranate seeds are such a nice touch for a little sweetness.
- Capers: Capers give a salty, spicy taste.
- Mustard vinaigrette: Mix Dijon mustard, white wine vinegar and olive oil for the best rocket salad dressing.
- Swap arugula for crushed Brussels sprouts, baby spinach, or mixed greens.
- If you're not a salmon fanatic, use tuna steaks, shrimp, or scallops instead.
- If you want to make the salad vegetarian, leave out the salmon. To make it vegan, skip the cheese too.
- Sub feta for the goat cheese.
- Swap the pistachios for sliced almonds or pecans.
- If you don't have white wine vinegar, use red.
More salad recipes you'll love:
Salmon, beet and rocket salad with pistachios and pomegranates
Preparation time: 15th min
Cooking time: 15th min
Total time: 30th min
This lovely heart-healthy salad makes salmon fillets a focal point on the colorful, textured salad.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Olive oil spray
- 1 TL White wine vinegar
- ½ TL Dijon mustard
- ½ lb wild salmon, Cut into 2 fillets
- Kosher salt
- 3 cups arugula
- 1 Cup boiled beets, 6 to 8 ounces, cut into small wedges *
- 1 to 2 radish, thinly cut
- 2 oz fresh goat cheese, crumbled
- 2 tablespoon Pistachios, roasted and chopped
- 2 tablespoon Pomegranate seeds
- 1 tablespoon Capers
Preheat the oven to 450F. In a large bowl, combine 1 tablespoon of olive oil with vinegar and mustard; put aside.
Set a heavy ovenproof pan over medium-high heat and spray or brush lightly with olive oil.
Season the salmon on both sides with salt.
When the oil is very hot, add the salmon (skin side down if it's on the skin) and use your spatula to gently press down to let the skin burn off.
Let simmer for 1 to 2 minutes undisturbed, until the skin loosens easily from the pan and the edges are opaque, then turn over and place in the oven to finish cooking for 2 to 4 minutes, depending on the thickness and degree of doneness you want. Put aside.
Put the rocket and beets with the dressing in the bowl and toss to coat. Season to taste with salt.
Scatter radishes, goat cheese, pistachios, pomegranate seeds and capers on top.
Divide between two plates and top with salmon and capers.
You can cook the beets by boiling or frying them. I fry my steam by preheating the oven to 375F and wrapping the scrubbed, unpeeled turnips tightly in foil (season with a little salt and pepper first). Bake on a baking sheet for about 1 hour or until it can be easily pierced with a fork. When the beets are cool enough, you can peel off the peels immediately (do this under running water so that they do not stain your hands).
Portion: 1salad, Calories: 437kcal, Carbohydrates: 18thG, Protein: 33.5G, Fat: 26.5G, Saturated fatty acids: 8.3G, Cholesterol: 85mg, Sodium: 727.5mg, Fiber: 4.5G, Sugar: 12thG
Blue Smart Points: 8th
Green Smart Points: 11
Purple Smart Points: 8th
Keywords: Main course salads, salmon salad, winter salad
Posted March 5, 2021 by Gina
Don't miss a recipe!
Receive new free recipes and exclusive content straight to your inbox: