"Boil" prawns in lime juice to prepare this spicy prawn ceviche with fresh coriander, cucumber and jalapeño. The perfect summer starter!
This ceviche recipe is an incredibly easy dish that will amaze you. Plus, no oven or stove is required, which makes it perfect for summer. Simply combine the prawns with the onion, lime juice and salt for 20 minutes and then add the other vegetables. That's it! Serve a delicious starter for your beach house, boat or garden with tortilla chips. Some of my ceviche-inspired recipes are this ceviche shrimp cocktail, canned tuna ceviche, vegan mushroom ceviche, and ceviche pickle cups.
How to make shrimp ceviche
The key to shrimp ceviche is to use super fresh shrimp, preferably those caught the same day you plan to eat them. If you don't have access to fresh prawns, frozen wild prawns, cooked prawns, or fresh white fish will also work.
The prawns only need about 20 minutes to "cook" in the lime juice. Once the prawns are opaque, they're done.
How long can ceviche keep?
It's best to eat shrimp ceviche on the day of preparation to prevent bacteria from growing. It will keep in the fridge for up to a day if you start with shrimp straight from the boat.
Ceviche is the perfect starter or light dinner. I like to eat it as a dip with tortilla chips or plantain chips, but the ceviche would also be great as tacos, tostadas or in a salad.
- Place the avocado or red bell pepper in the ceviche.
- For a spicy ceviche, leave the ribs and seeds in the jalapeños. If you like it milder, remove them.
- Swap the jalapeño for a serrano.
- Substitute the shrimp for a fresh white fish, like mahi mahi, striped bass, or flounder.
- Use cooked shrimp if you don't have fresh, raw shrimp.
More Shrimp Recipes You'll Love:
Preparation time: 10 Minutes
Cooking time: 0 Minutes
marinate time: 20th Minutes
Total time: 30th Minutes
Fresh prawns “cook” in lime juice to prepare this fresh and spicy prawn ceviche with fresh coriander, cucumber and jalapeño. The perfect summer starter!
- 1 lb freshly peeled and deveined prawns, chopped (preferably wild)
- 1 Cup freshly squeezed lime juice, from 6 to 9 limes
- 1/4 Cup chopped red onion
- 1 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2/3 Cup peeled and diced cucumber
- 1 to 2 Jalapeno, stemmed and cut into rings
- 1/4 Cup chopped coriander
- 1 spring onions, chopped
- Tortilla chips or plantain chips, For serving
In a large bowl, mix the prawns, lime juice, red onion, and salt.
Let sit for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally until opaque.
Add the cucumber, jalapeño, coriander and spring onions.
Serve immediately with chips.
Portion: 1Cup, Calories: 147kcal, Carbohydrates: 7thG, Protein: 24G, Fat: 2G, Saturated fatty acids: 1G, Cholesterol: 167mg, Sodium: 553mg, Fiber: 1G, Sugar: 2G
Blue Smart Points: 1
Green smart points: 2
Purple Smart Points: 1
Keywords: Beach house recipes, boating recipes, shrimp ceviche, summer recipes