These eggplant and green lentil koftas are a fantastic way to enjoy the flavors of the Middle East from the comfort of your own home.
The Moroccan-inspired spices complement the delicate taste of the aubergine and are ideal as a dip for a shared plate or in a pita.
You can shape the koftas however you like – some prefer a regular patty shape, others a kebab style.
This dish uses 1 protein serving, ½ carbohydrate and 1 fat serving from your daily requirement.
Ingredients for eggplant and green lentil koftas
– 280 g green lentils
– 2 eggplants (approx. 250 g), cut in half lengths
– 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
– 2 tablespoons of olive oil
– 1 tbsp ground cumin
– 100 g breadcrumbs
– 1 vegetable stock cube
– 1 tbsp mild chili powder
Instructions for Eggplant and Green Lentil Koftas
1. Preheat the oven to 180 ° C (fan) / 350 ° F / Gas Mark 4.
2. Place the aubergine skin on a baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil.
3. Bake for 10-20 minutes or until tender in the middle. Set aside and let cool.
4. In the meantime, rinse the green lentils thoroughly before placing them in a pan and covering with 500 ml of water.
5. Bring the pan to a boil and simmer until the lentils soften. Then remove from heat, drain and let cool.
6. Take the green lentils and add them to the stock cube in a bowl with the cinnamon, cumin, chilli powder and streusel.
7. When the eggplants are cool enough, take a dessert spoon and scoop the cooked eggplant from the skin into the bowl.
8. Now get your hands in and blend them together to make sure you crush as many lentils as you can in the mixture (don't worry about that as the whole lentils add nice texture to the koftas in the end).
9. Add and stir in your breadcrumbs. Let it sit for a few minutes to allow the mixture to thicken. If the mixture is too wet to form into balls, add 20 g more breadcrumbs at a time.
10. Shape the mixture into balls and press each ball down to form flat circles or shapes as you prefer.
11. Heat the last tablespoon of oil in a pan and sear each side flat until just about golden. Then put in the oven for 5 minutes to heat.
Click here to download your copy of the Koftas Eggplant and Green Lentil Recipe