Made in under 30 minutes, this short cut stew uses broth to keep the meat tender and full of flavor. Here the
Traditional Caprese ingredients – tomatoes, balsamic vinegar, mozzarella and basil leaves – make for a hearty taste
Tomatoes are an excellent source of vitamin C (they provide about 30 percent of your daily value) and one serving of 150 g contains
as much potassium as a medium-sized banana. Tomatoes get their red color from lycopene, a carotenoid that is being researched
suggests playing a role in reducing the risk of heart disease.
- Let the quinoa drain as it cooks to remove any remaining water.
- Make the 250 ml broth, but don't add everything. First add 200ml and see how that goes. If it's too dry, add it as needed.
- You can add other spices to suit your preference. Chilli flakes give it an extra kick.
- Choose the garlic if you want. There are 4 crushed cloves but you could get by with 2.
- This meal tastes great reheated, so set aside the basil and mozzarella that you will need.
Ingredients for caprese salad inspired chicken stew
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 400g skinless chicken breast
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- Black pepper
- 250 ml low-salt chicken broth
- 300 g tomatoes
- 4 garlic cloves crushed
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 200 g cooked quinoa
- 140g low-fat mozzarella (if you can't find the torn pieces of pearl, they'll do)
- Fresh basil leaves
Instructions for Caprese Salad Inspired Chicken Stew
- Wash and cook the quinoa according to the directions in the package.
- In a medium non-stick pan, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the chicken breasts, sprinkle with salt, and cook for about 3 to 4 minutes per side, until they are brown on both sides but not completely cooked through.
- Add the broth, tomatoes, garlic and vinegar to the pan. bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer until chicken is fully cooked and tomatoes are tender (about 15 minutes).
- Take off the stove. Transfer the chicken to a cutting board. Smash the tomatoes in the pan with a fork, being careful not to splash the hot juices. Cut the chicken breast into pieces or thinly slice.
- Stir the chicken and warm quinoa into the tomato mixture in the pan. Add black pepper. Put in a bowl. Sprinkle with mozzarella and chopped basil.
Click here to download your copy of the Caprese salad inspired chicken stew recipe