We live in a culture that focuses on an abundance of choices and instant gratification. So it's no wonder that we are addicted to the “quick fix mentality”. When we refer to a quick fix, we are referring to a solution that was chosen not because it is the best or most effective option, but because it is the fastest and possibly only temporary. An example of this is the “three-minute abs” phenomenon.
But this way of thinking (and acting) doesn't really serve us well. In fact, it often sabotages us and slows or completely stops our progress. Constantly changing a strategy when things don't work right away is a surefire way to fail. I myself was addicted to the latest fad I read in the latest women's magazine. I was always looking for the "magic pill". I mistakenly believed that a big change or two would do this, but then struggled for years to lose weight. What eventually worked was consistent progress that eventually led to my losing over 9 pounds with the motivation program.
To Avoid the Quick Fix Fad Diet – Focus on Long Term Strategy and Consistency
New diet and exercise ideas all the time that claim to be the latest and greatest. They create excitement and excitement and leave us tempted to change our reasonable, long-term plans for a short-term solution. But they rarely work.
In reality, we know that it is small, incremental changes in our habits that produce results. But that's not sexy or exciting for either marketers or us as we are programmed through advertising to find this instant solution without doing any hard work. It's like being programmed to hit the quick fix button. It makes us want to constantly compromise when the truth is that that mentality just doesn't produce the results.
Here at Motivation, we rely on the proven, long-term strategy of changing habits – often one habit at a time. Because we know that changes in your body – and your health – don't happen overnight. Rather, it's the result of hundreds of small decisions along the way.
And the most effective strategies don't pay off right away. Stick with it for a while and do your best to make it work. Chances are you will succeed. Don't forget that although the scales may not shift a gigantic amount in a week or two – and it happens almost instantly – you will feel better physically and mentally.
Beware of the word "diet"
At Motivation, we want you to drop the word "diet". How many times have you said, "Tomorrow, I'm going to be on a diet" or "I can't eat this, I'm going on a diet". When using the word "diet", limit yourself to thinking in black and white: you are either "on" or "off" your diet. But that's not how it works in real life.
If you get off the track, you should also be careful when using the word "binge". Instead, we prefer to call it a "slip". And that's all – a passing mistake to recover from! We know you will slip simply because you are human. But unless you make that slip disastrous – and don't call it a "failure" – the more likely you'll get back on the horse and cross the finish line in the not too distant future.
The most successful weight loss in our clinics comes from those who have adopted the mindset that they are on their healthy eating plan all the time, but can "dim" the switch every now and then. They accept that most of the time (about 80 percent) they will stick to their healthy eating and exercise program, taking into account deviations from the plan here and there (the remaining 20 percent). There are two types of evidence; those that happen by chance and those that are "planned deviations" from the program. Once you learn about your triggers and manage emotions with cognitive behavioral techniques that you learn with us, the majority of slip-ups fall into the preferred second category.
Enjoy every bite!
Likewise, we do not recommend labeling food as “good” or “bad” or having a “fraud tag” when it comes to motivation. The use of these labels brings on unnecessary negative connotations, leading to feelings of guilt and, as a result, sometimes even the self-sabotaging attitude of "what's the point, I ruined it anyway". Eating and eating should not be done with guilt or shame. When you enjoy the foods you eat, you may feel happier with less food.
Just because you need or want to lose weight doesn't mean you should feel punished or disadvantaged. Finding a long-term diet will prevent yo-yo weight gain. Even if you are losing weight, there is no need to completely cut out your favorite foods. The key is to have them in moderation or to adjust them to make them healthier (for the moment when I crave chips I dry-fry some tortilla wraps and sprinkle some paprika on top. Also delicious with hummus on the side. Withdrawal: zero; satisfaction: guaranteed!
To get a call back today, click here and speak to one of our weight loss consultants about how motivation can help you avoid the quick fad diet and achieve and maintain your weight loss goal for life.