Hello everyone and welcome to Motivate Me this week.
I can almost hear the gears spin in your head and ask, "Okay, what have penguins got to do with weight loss?" Absolutely nothing, but penguins are a classic case study of mimetic behavior and it has all to do with weight loss and life in general.
Stay with me and read on ……
The mimetic Desire theory is a human explanation behavior and culture traced back to the French historian and polymath René Girard. … “Man is the creature who does not know what to desire and turns to others to make a decision. We desire what others desire because we imitate their desires. ”Source – Wikipedia.
In the Middle Ages, when stoning was the order of the day, throwing the first stone was always the hardest thing to throw.
The first stone is the only stone without a mimetic model. The first stone thrower sets a dangerous precedent for the others. Once the first stone is thrown, the second stone becomes easier to throw.
The first stone thrower shows the way. The second reinforces the desire. Now the third person in the crowd is hit by the mimetic power of two mimetic models.
And so on.
Back to our penguins. I have seen countless nature documentaries about penguins over the years and am always fascinated by the brave penguin, the first penguin to take this dive, while the narrator warns us about the risks of killer whales. The penguin must do this dive to find food for its chick.
As soon as the first penguin dives, the next follows, then another, and then the rest.
This first penguin drama takes place across the animal kingdom – think of the myriad herds that cross the rivers in Africa.
The first penguin and the throwing of the first stone are one and the same. The first penguin starts the mimetic cycle.
I'm telling you this today for two reasons:
- Mimetic behavior is just fascinating, and I hope that by now you know something relevant and useful that you didn't know 5 minutes ago.
- We have been working with clients for over 25 years and during that time I have seen the positive effect of mimetic desire:
- Sometimes a person joins a larger group of friends and when they show the visible benefits of our program, another friend signs up and moves on.
- Sometimes it is the husband or wife who signs up first.
- That works in business too. Over in the west a CEO of a company got in touch, followed by his family and work colleagues.
- Recently, a teenager in one of our clinics was the trigger in his family – both parents got in touch.
The relevance of all of this to your place, time, or travel is that throwing your first stone (logging in) will soon result in you losing your first stone. The fact is, customers on our accelerator plan can lose a stone in 4-6 weeks.
When you've thrown your first stone, you are well on your way to losing weight successfully. Use the motivation tools available to you and keep your appointments with your advisor.
Motivates me last week – The shoe was lost due to the lack of a nail ……
Have a nice weekend until next Friday and keep it up.