Portobello mushrooms are a healthy, versatile alternative to burger buns and baked potatoes. You can fill these with any veg you want to make a delicious, minimal carbohydrate meal. Portobello mushrooms are low in sodium and an excellent source of protein, B vitamins, potassium, magnesium, zinc, copper, and selenium.
They don't contain saturated or trans fat, and each contains only 33 calories.1 These stuffed mushrooms contain 7.5 grams of protein and 4.5 grams of fiber.
Try this simple recipe for portobello mushrooms, it is great for vegetarians as a meatless main course with salad or is great as a starter for meat eaters.
- 4 portobello mushrooms
- Olive oil or low-calorie spray
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of chopped garlic
- 120 g of low-fat feta crumbled
- ½ cup of prepared pesto
- Remove and discard stems from mushrooms; Scrape off the gills with a spoon and remove.
- Mix the oil and garlic in a small bowl. brush over mushrooms. Sprinkle with salt. Mix the cheese and pesto in a small bowl.
- Place the mushrooms on a piece of greased high-performance foil (approx. 30 cm²). Cover the mushrooms with the stem side up and grill over a medium heat for 8-10 minutes or until the mushrooms are tender.
- Pour the cheese mixture over the mushrooms; Grill covered for 2-3 minutes or until the filling has heated up.
Click here to download a copy of the recipe.