Would you like to spice up a boring evening with something tasty for the whole family? We have this great healthy Italian meatball recipe.
It's hearty, satisfying, and when served with salad over pasta, it's perfectly low-carb. This healthy Italian meatball recipe is one this offers the taste of juicy lean minced meat combined with the distinctive taste of oregano and garlic. These meatballs are juicy and tender and are made even tastier with marinara sauce and sticky mozzarella.
The secret of the tenderness of this healthy meal is almond flour, which puffs up the meatballs, and water, which creates steam and keeps them juicy.
italian meatballs ingredients
- 360g lean ground beef
- 1 tablespoon of freshly chopped parsley
- 1 small egg
- 40 g almond flour
- 40 g grated parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon of sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon of ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder OR 2 cloves of fresh garlic crushed
- 1 teaspoon dried onion flakes OR 1/3 finely chopped onion
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- 160 g marinara pasta sauce / passata-40 g per person
- 70 g mozzarella (optional)
italian meatballs manual
- Pre heat the oven to 180 degrees celcius
- Combine all of the meatball ingredients in a large bowl and mix well
- Shape into 12 meatballs
- Place on a baking sheet or iron pan and put in the oven for 20 minutes
- After 20 minutes, remove the tray from the oven and pour 40g of marinara sauce over each meatball
- Cover each with a thin slice of mozzarella, if desired, and a few basil leaves to garnish
As mentioned above, our healthy Italian meatball recipe is kept low in carbohydrates and is best served with mixed green salad. However, if you'd rather soak up the sauce, I recommend either a small serving of brown pasta or brown rice.
Don't hold back if you prefer a hotter dish as some chilies work quite well in this dish.
Download your Italian meatball recipe here.