This delicious hearty chickpea pancake is not only vegan, but also gluten-free, grain-free, oil-free and refined sugar-free. Chickpea flour is high in protein at 7 grams per ¼ cup and high in fiber at 3 grams per ¼ cup, making it a tasty and filling breakfast or lunch option.
This recipe uses 1½ of your protein serving when used for breakfast, so you get 5½ protein for the rest of the day.
You could use up one of your fat servings for the day and serve this delicious pancake with 1.5 tablespoons of low-fat hummus made from plain or red pepper or a chopped avocado.
Ingredients for hearty chickpea pancakes
- 90 g chickpea flour
- 250 ml of water
- ½ heaped teaspoon of baking powder
- Juice of ½ a small lemon
- ½ teaspoon of cumin
- ¼ teaspoon of garlic powder
- Salt to taste
- 150 g spinach chopped
- 100 g spring onions and tomatoes finely chopped
Instructions for making savory chickpea pancakes
- Preheat the frying pan or pan and spray with 1 cal spray.
- Mix the flour, water, baking powder, cumin, garlic powder and salt in a bowl. Mix well and make sure all the lumps are gone.
- Add lemon and stir (the batter will rise and foam a little).
- Add vegetables and mix thoroughly.
- Pour ¼ of the mixtures onto the preheated pan. It might look like there are more veggies than a mix, but the batter is puffing out of the baking soda and looking fluffy and full.
- Let simmer for 5 minutes.
Click here to download your copy of the Savory Chickpea Pancake Recipe.