Turkey sausage is a great pork alternative for those trying to lose weight. This is due to the lower fat content, about half of that in a pork sausage.
Turkey sausage also contains a large number of vitamins and minerals, including vitamins A, C, E, B6 and B12. It also contains more protein per serving than pork, but be aware that it contains more sodium. Turkey sausage contains good amounts of folic acid, thiamine, niacin, and riboflavin.
Healthy egg sausage baking ingredients:
- 160 grams / 4 turkey sausages
- ½ small onion (finely chopped)
- ½ red bell pepper (chopped)
- 1 clove of garlic (finely chopped)
- 1/2 bag of spinach or kale
- 4 eggs
- 150 grams of sliced mushrooms (optional)
- ½ cup milk (almond milk works well)
- ½ teaspoon dried basil leaves
- A pinch of salt and pepper
- Aluminum foil
How to Bake Healthy Egg Sausage Directions:
- Pre heat the oven to 180 degrees celcius
- Bake the sausages for 15-20 minutes. (Leave the oven on at this temperature)
- Meanwhile, put the mushrooms, peppers, onions, and garlic in a pan over medium heat for 5-6 minutes until tender. Stir in spinach or kale.
- Chop the sausage and add to the pan. Stir.
- Evenly pour the sausage mixture into a baking dish.
- In a medium bowl, beat the eggs, milk, basil, salt and pepper. Pour this over the sausage mixture.
- Cover with foil.
- Put the dish in the oven for 45 minutes. Remove the aluminum foil and bake for another 10 to 15 minutes.
Click here to download a copy of the Healthy Egg Sausage Casserole Recipe.